1 Tbl yeast (I used rapid rise, but you could use active dry)
1 c milk
1/3 c white sugar
1/2 c melted butter
1 tsp salt
4 c flour
1/4 c butter, softened
1 c brown sugar
3 Tbl cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
milk or water
- Warm milk in microwave for 1 minute. Dissolve yeast and 1 Tbl of the white sugar in warm milk.
- Mix the rest of the sugar, butter, salt, eggs, and flour.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Knead into a ball. Let rise until double in size.
- Roll out to a big rectangle about 1/4 inch thick
- Spread with filling: spread butter on dough, sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture
- Roll up and slice into 1 inch slices-I rolled starting at a short end of the rectangle-so we had 8 fat cinnamon rolls. If you want a lot of smaller cinnamon rolls you could roll from the long end.
- Place in a greased 9x13 pan. Cover loosely with clear plastic wrap.
- Let rise overnight in refrigerator (or rise until doubled, if you do it all in one day).
- The next morning...Bake @ 400 for 10 minutes (or until lightly browned)
- For icing, mix 1 c powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla in a small bowl. Add milk or water 1 tsp at a time until you get the right consistency for icing. Drizzle on warm rolls.