1 Tbl salt
1 Tbl rosemary leaves
2 pkg yeast
about 7 c flour
2 1/2 c water
1 Tbl butter
1 egg, slightly beaten
- Combine salt, rosemary, yeast, and 2 1/2 cups flour in a bowl.
- In a saucepan, over low heat, heat water and butter until very warm. Butter doesn't need to melt.
- With mixer at Medium speed, gradually beat dry ingredients for 2 minutes, scraping sides occasionally.
- Add 2 cup flour and beat 2 minutes at High speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in 3 1/2 cups flour to make soft, sticky dough.
- Place in greased bowl. Cover with towel. Let dough rise in a warm place (on top of refrigerator), away from draft, until doubled- about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto well-floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic-10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into an 18 inch rope.
- On one side of a large cookie sheet, braid 3 ropes together. Repeat with remaining ropes.
- Cover with towel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled- about 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 450*
- Brush tops of loaves with egg.
- Bake 25 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped with fingers.
- Remove to racks to cool.