Start 2 1/2 hours ahead
2 c water
1 c oatmeal
3 Tbl butter
1 pkg yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp)
1/3 c warm water (110-115*)
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1 Tbl sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 3/4-5 1/4 c flour
- Boil 2 c water, oats, and butter. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Cook to lukewarm
- Dissolve yeast and 1 Tbl sugar in the 1/3 c warm water. Rest for about 5 minutes until bubbly.
- Combine 4 cups flour, brown sugar, and salt. Add oatmeal mixture. Add yeast mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Add enough flour to make soft dough. I used 5 1/4 cups total
- Turn on flour surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (6-8 minutes). I cheated and used the stand mixer for about 5 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down and rest 10 minutes.
- Shape into 18 balls. Place balls in 2 greased 9 inch round pans.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes
- Bake @ 350* for 20-25 minutes until golden
- Top hot rolls with butter before serving.