You can double the recipe if you want, but it does make a lot of food!
1/2 lb dry red beans
1/2 onion, chopped (I used onion powder)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 14 1/2 oz. can vegetable (or beef) broth
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
3 cups cooked rice (brown rice is more flavorful and healthier)
- In large pot, cover beans with three times their volume of water and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes, and then remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 1 hour and then drain.
- Combine all of the ingredients in the slow cooker except the rice.
- Cover, cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.
- Serve over the hot cooked rice.