Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sweet Potato Quick Bread

I was looking for a way to use some sweet potatoes we had. My husband doesn't really like sweet potatoes because he likes more savory vegetables and side dishes. I thought this sweet quick bread might be the perfect compromise to get him to eat vegetables...even if a little sugar is added. I found this recipe in the Taste of Home's 2006 Quick Cooking Annual Recipes cookbook. I cut the recipe in half and changed a couple of things from the original since I didn't have (or like) some ingredients. The maple glaze was my addition. The original called for an orange glaze, but I didn't have the supplies for that. The result: it tastes a lot like this pumpkin pound cake recipe I make sometimes, but not quite as sweet. It's delicious!


 1 3/4 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 c mashed sweet potatoes (about 2 sweet potatoes)
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp milled flax seed
1 1/2 Tbl water
1/2 c canola oil
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 c chopped walnuts (opt. I didn't use these)
1/2 c raisins (opt. I didn't use these)

Glaze:
1/2 c powdered sugar
2 Tb;c maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
  • In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients.
  • In another bowl, whisk the sweet potatoes, eggs, and oil. Add sugar; whisk until smooth.
  • Stir into dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in walnuts and raisins if using.
  • Transfer (thick) batter to greased loaf pan.
  • Bake @ 350* for 60-70 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
  • Cool for 10 minutes.
  • Remove from pan and put on wire rack to cool completely. 
  • For glaze, combine ingredients and whisk until smooth.
  • Drizzle glaze over loaf.

1 comment:

  1. When I read the recipe title...I didn't think I would like it. I'm not a big fan of breads with vegtables in them, but this sounds really good with the maple glaze.

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It