formerly

formerly Penny Pinching Provisions

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Spaghetti Squash with Sauce

I really tricked my husband this time! I hid all the evidence, and he had no idea what he was really eating.
I have never made spaghetti squash before, but I had read in several recipes that you can substitute it for regular spaghetti. I was a little skeptical, but I had a back up plan so I figured it was worth a try. An added bonus would be that we could substitute the "bad carbs" for veggies. It was actually good...and I didn't feel guilty for having seconds! This would fit better into the budget if the squash were in season, but the sauce can be used anytime (only $3 to make with meat!).

1 spaghetti squash
1 lb sausage (or turkey sausage, ground beef, or ground turkey) ($1.99)
chopped onion
1/2 clove minced garlic
2 8-oz cans tomato sauce ($0.50)
1 6-oz can tomato paste ($0.40)
1 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbl parsley
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
dash pepper
dash bay leaves
  • Heat oven to 375*
  • Cut squash in half and remove seeds. 
  • Place flesh side down on a greased baking sheet. POKE HOLES IN THE SKIN OF THE SQUASH SO IT WON'T EXPLODE IN THE OVEN
  • Bake for about 45 minutes or until tender.
  • Meanwhile, make the sauce...Brown meat and drain and return to pan.
  • Add onion, garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, and bay leaves.
  • Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and cook 30 minutes
  • Remove from oven. Use a fork to scrape the flesh out of the skin. It looks just like spaghetti! Place in a bowl.
  • Combine sauce and spaghetti sqaush
  • Top with parmesan cheese

2 comments:

  1. I've tried spaghetti squash before...with a cream type sauce...it was ok...I bet it would be better with your tomato based sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the sauce covers up a little bit of the flavor. I tasted some before adding the sauce, and that kind of nutty flavor wasn't there after the sauce was added.

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It