Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Aztec Chicken

I hate seafood. I love Red Lobster. Really, I go for the biscuits (great make at home recipe here), and for a bit of nostalgia. When I go to Red Lobster, I used to order Aztec Chicken....until they took it off the menu! It was so good. I would even crave it sometimes.
Basically, the Aztec Chicken is a grilled chicken breast with pico de gallo on top. This is my attempt to make it at home. We thought it was good, but I still miss the one at Red Lobster.
I served this with a side of black beans seasoned with garlic, cumin, chili powder and onion.


3 Tbl oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion
2 Tbl cilantro
1 Tbl paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
4 chicken breast
Pico de Gallo

Lime Sauce
1/2 c tequila (or 1/4c lime juice + 1/4c vodka--not the same, but works in a pinch)
2 Tbl lime juice
2 Tbl shallots
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbl cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
pinch pepper
1/4 c heavy cream
1 stick butter (I know, I know)
  • Combine oil, garlic, onion, cilantro, paprika, cumin, chili powder, and salt in a food processor (or Magic Bullet). Save 1/4 cup of the mixture. Pour the rest over the chicken breasts. Marinade for a couple of hours.
  • Prepare lime sauce....boil tequila, lime juice, shallots, garlic, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Reduce to simmer. Simmer until reduced by half. Stir in heavy cream and butter.
  • Grill chicken using the reserved 1/4cup of spice mixture to baste during grilling.
  • Top chicken with lime sauce and Pico de Gallo. Red Lobster also uses thin strips of crunchy tortilla to top it all off, but I didn't have any.

6 comments:

  1. This chicken sounds really good...I love Red Lobster for the biscuits too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good! I especially love the lime sauce! I'll have to try this, thanks! I'm following, you have some super good recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lime sauce is what makes it really stand out and be more than just seasoned chicken with salsa on top. I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a flavorful chicken recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you hate that? So many of my favorite restaurant dishes have been taken off the menu. You did an excellent job at re-creating it! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy! The sauce looks delicious on top of the chicken.

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It