formerly

formerly Penny Pinching Provisions

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Mongolian Chicken

I love PF Changs but we rarely go there since it is across town and usually has at least a two hour wait. A couple of days ago I read this post and I knew I had to try the recipe! I've never had the Mongolian Beef since I usually get the Lettuce Wraps (which I will make later this week), but I had all the ingredients on hand to make the Mongolian Beef...except the beef! I thought chicken would work just fine, and I was right. This was delicious! The only change I would make is to use a little less brown sugar next time.

2 Tbl canola oil
1 tsp ginger
2 Tbl garlic
1/2 c soy sauce
1 c brown sugar (I might try 3/4c next time and go from there)
1 c canola oil
1-lb chicken
1/4 c cornstarch
3 green onion, sliced (I omitted this!)
  • Heat oil (Med-High). Add ginger and garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add soy sauce. Add sugar and dissolve. Let boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
  • Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Place meat and cornstarch in plastic bag to coat. Let sit for 10 minutes to make sure it sticks. ( I really only let it sit about 5 minutes--maybe?)
  • Heat 1 c oil (Med-High). Add chicken. Stir/brown for 2 minutes (more heating time later). Remove from heat. Drain.
  • Clean pan. Return meat to pan. Cook on High for 2 minutes. Add sauce and cook until sauce is thickened-about 2 minutes. Add green onion in the last minute or so if desired.
  • Remove from heat and serve over rice.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the link!! That chicken looks great. Good to know... I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great and not too hard to make either! I can't wait to try the lettuce wraps later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is really easy to make. I order this all the time so it is nice to know that I can make it at home. I am going to have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to try this...Mongolian Chicken is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It