formerly

formerly Penny Pinching Provisions

Monday, May 17, 2010

Taco Casserole

When someone in our group of friends has a baby or has surgery, we all pick a day to take them a dinner so they don't have to worry about trying to prepare something while not feeling their best. Last week, our friend had an emergency surgery, but I didn't find out until after I had already been to the store. I was trying to think of something to make out things we had on hand. I knew it had to be something with ground turkey.

I found a recipe in the Taste of Home Ground Beef Recipe Cards book that I had picked up near the cash register one time. This recipe called for tomato sauce and barbecue sauce, but I didn't have either of those. But, I did have a homemade taco seasoning, which I made after reading this blog post.
 

6-8 servings
Taco Filling:
1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
6 oz corn (Mexicorn would be good, too)
1 cup shredded cheddar
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 Tbl taco seasoning (or 1 pkt store bought)
Cornbread Crust:
1 cup flour
1/2 c cornmeal
2 Tbl sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 c cold butter
1/2 c milk
1 c shredded cheddar, divided
1 egg
  • Brown meat, drain. Stir in corn, cheese, chili powder, and taco seasoning. Set aside.
  • For crust, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk, 1/2 cup cheese, and egg.
  • Spread crust mixture over the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-inch baking dish.
  • Pour filling into crust (If you are making for a friend, Pour filling into a baggie so they can top it later)
  • Bake uncovered at 400* for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
  • Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
 

4 comments:

  1. What a nice idea!!! We love taco casserole, we use Tater Tots on top yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,
    Tater Tots on top do sound good! I'll have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mexican casseroles! This looks fantastic, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great casserole...I'll have to try...The tater tots on top sounds like a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It