This recipe was inspired by Au Gratin potatoes of course, but I used zucchini instead so it would be a little healthier. I think it turned out great, but next time I will not saute so long because I like my zucchini to be a little more firm. I loved the topping! Sorry, I don't know where this recipe came from. I found it written on a sheet of paper with no reference.
3 Tbl butter
2 tsp onion powder
2 zucchini (about 1-lb) sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg (secret ingredient!)
1 Tbl flour
1/2 c hot milk
3/4 c bread crumbs (I used crushed Ritz crackers)
3/4 c grated sharp Cheddar or Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 400*
- Melt butter. Add onion powder and zucchini. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg, then cook 5 more minutes (Instead of cooking in this step, next time I would just add these ingredients, and do the cooking in the next step so the zucchini will stay firm)
- Stir in flour. Add milk and cook on low until a sauce is formed.
- Pour into an 8x8 baking dish.
- Combine bread crumbs (crackers) and cheese and sprinkle on top.
- Dot with 1/2 Tbl butter cut into small bits.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.