This is a bit of an expense to make...but once a year for a cookout-it's totally worth it!
Recipe from Kitchen Aid Ice Cream Maker Attachment book (add in opt)
2-1/2 c half-and-half
8 egg yolks
1 c sugar
2-1/2 c whipping cream
4 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
Optional Add ins:
1 1/2 c Peanut butter cookie dough (store bought) or chopped cookies, nuts, cookie dough, candy, etc
A couple of years ago, we added Girl Scout Tagalongs, which was fantastic!
- In medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat half-and-half until very hot but not boiling, stirring often. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Place egg yolks and sugar in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and wire whisk to mixer. Mix (speed 2) for 30 seconds or until well blended and slightly thickened.
- (on speed 2) Gradually add half-and-half. Mix until blended.
- Return half-and-half mixture to saucepan. Cook over medium heat until small bubbles form around edge and mixture is steamy, stirring constantly. Do not boil.
- Transfer half-and-half mixture into large bowl, stirring in whipping cream, vanilla, and salt. Cover and chill at least 8 hours
- Assemble and engage freeze bowl (or put together your ice cream maker if your not using the Kitchen Aid)
- (speed 1) Using container with a spout, pour mixture into freeze bowl. Continue (speed 1) for 15-20 minutes or until desired consistency. Add optional 1-1/2 c add ins during last 1-2 minutes of freeze time.
- Serve immediately for soft serve ice cream....or freeze in air tight container for 5+ hours for hard ice cream