(without the spiciness that makes your nose run). I didn't leave the dinner table wishing I had just driven to Ramsi's...so I would definitely make this again when I'm longing for the "Jerk."
Following my penny-pinching budget, I made everything at home...including the Jerk seasoning and foccacia. Total cost: about $2.50 (for 4 servings...plus extra bread which my daughter loved)
3 c flour (or bread flour)
1 Tbl dried rosemary
1 Tbl sugar
1 tsp salt
2-1/4 tsp yeast
3 Tbl olive oil
1 c warm water
2 Tbl olive oil
1/4 c Parmesan cheese
- Mix 1 cup flour with rosemary, sugar, salt, and yeast. Add 3 T olive oil and water. Beat 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour till dough forms and leaves sides. Knead 5-8 minutes till smooth and springy. Place ingredients in a greased bowl and rise 30 minutes or until doubled.
- Grease 2 cookie sheets with oil. Deflate dough and shape into two 10 inch circles. Cover with plastic wrap and rise 30 minutes or until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400*. Make finger dents about 2 inches apart in bread. Brush with 2 Tbl oil and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden. While baking...make the chicken.
2 Tbl onion powder
1 Tbl sugar
1 Tbl salt
1 Tbl garlic powder
1 Tbl thyme
1-1/2 tsp all spice
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp red pepper, ground (more or less as desired)
1-lb chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- Heat oil to medium. While warming place chicken in bag and cover with about 2 Tbl Jerk seasoning. Shake to coat.
- Place chicken in skillet and cook. I sprinkled some extra seasoning on during cooking.
- When bread is done, cut each circle into 6 triangles. Place one triangle on each plate, top with chicken and another triangle to make each sandwich.