Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Beefy Shells and Cheese

     My posts have become fewer and farther between as the blog goes on. I have found that I have posted all of my regularly used recipes, and I only get to post those new adventures that I try...which is not very many during this time of year. We have been so busy with summer things, and I have recently starting babysitting a three month old a few nights a week. With a 17 month old and a three month old, I don't get much time to experiment...I'm lucky if we get a meat and a side or two.
     I've been reading The $5 Dinner Mom Cookbook as my nighttime reading after Miss E goes to bed, and I have found some fantastic inexpensive recipes that I want to try. I wish I had bought it instead of borrowing it from the library. She does have a website that I haven't check out yet.
     This recipe is one that I have actually made before. It's one of those that tastes really great and every time I make it I think, "This should be a regular dish", but then life goes on and I come across it again every couple of months. I really do like it, and though it starts with a box of processed shells and cheese, the added black beans and carrots make it healthier. I've been sneaking in a lot more veggies lately since Miss E has decided to be more picky about eating them.

1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
1 pkg (12 oz) shells and cheese dinner mix
2 c water
1-1/4 c salsa
1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 carrot, shredded
1-2 tsp chili powder (to taste)
1/8 tsp salt
  • Brown meat. Drain. 
  • Add shells and water to skillet with meat. Bring to boil, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes until pasta is tender. Drain water.
  • Stir in salsa, beans, carrots, chili powder, salt and contents of cheese sauce packet. 
  • Remove from heat, and let stand for 5 minutes.
posted at

    4 comments:

    1. That dish looks really good. I will have to look up that cookbook, I have a few friends who I know would love to get their hands on it.

      ReplyDelete
    2. That's a great way to spice up mac and cheese!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I like that you have added the carrots and black beans to this for the extra vitamins and minerals, plus the salsa would give this a really great flavour.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Well, this sounds easy...and tasty! Bet the kiddos would gobble it up. YUM! =)

      ReplyDelete

    Special Note

    For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

    sharing

    Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It