Monday, August 2, 2010

Coconut Cream Pie

     As I mentioned in my last post, I went down to visit my dad for his birthday. My tradition is that I make him his favorite kind of pie: Coconut Cream Pie.Coconut Cream Pie is my favorite, too. I even found a local ice cream place that has Coconut Cream Pie ice cream....Yes!
     This little old lady he used to work with, used to "surprise" him with a pie each year and embarrass the time out of him, but when my dad got a new job, someone had to take over the pie-making. 
     My first few attempts were not so good. I tried using my Mommaw's recipe...which was so old it called for canned coconut. When I asked the bakery worker at the store, she informed me they hadn't sold canned coconut in 20 years! Other attempts included runny pies and meringues that never set. Finally, I found a recipe that worked for me and it tastes wonderful!

Filling
3/4 c sugar
1/3 c flour
2 c milk
3 egg yolks (slightly beaten)
2 Tbl butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 c flaked coconut
9 inch pastry shell (baked and cooled)

Meringue
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
6 Tbl sugar
1/3 c  flaked coconut

     for filling:
  • In saucepan, combined sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add milk, mixing well. Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture thickens and boils. Cook 2 minutes longer.
  • Remove from heat. Add eggs. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
  • Remove from heat. Add butter, vanilla, and flaked coconut. Pour into cooled, baked 9 inch pastry shell. 
  • Top with meringue (see below) and coconut. 
  • Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool.
     for meringue
  • Beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar till soft peaks form.
  • Gradually add sugar, beating till stiff peaks form and all sugar is dissolved. 
  • Spread atop pie, sealing edge of pastry. Sprinkle with 1/3 c flaked coconut.












    1 comment:

    1. Ooohh, this looks so pristine and pretty. Thanks for linking it up to Sweets for a Saturday.

      ReplyDelete

    Special Note

    For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

    sharing

    Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It