If you don't have 2-1/2 hours, hop in your car and drive to the nearest grocery store. Buy a jar of spaghetti sauce, a package of manicotti shells, and the remaining ingredients.
This is one of those dishes, since it takes so long, that we only have maybe 2-3 times a year---and it seems like I like it more each time I make it. I usually make it when people come over because it makes a lot of food. Everyone always raves about the sauce, so this is the same sauce I use when I make spaghetti.
It is possible to buy all the ingredients, except ricotta cheese from Aldi which saves a ton.
Total cost: $9 for 8 servings
Adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks: Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook
2 Tbl oil
1 med. onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
30 oz tomato sauce
12 oz tomato paste
2 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbl parsley, dried
1 tsp oregano, dried
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1 lb ground turkey, cooked/drained
1 c flour
1 Tbl oil
1 tsp salt
1 c water
2 c riccota cheese
2 Tbl Parmesan cheese
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
8oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
You could probably put spinach in filling, but I've never tried it.
Prepare spaghetti sauce:
- Heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients. Over high heat, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and cook 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Blend flour, eggs, oil, salt, and water at low speed. At medium speed, beat 1 minute.
- Lightly brush 7-inch skillet with oil. Heat to medium-high.
- Pour about 2 Tbl pancake batter in pan. Tip pan to spread batter to coat bottom of pan.
- Cook until top is starting to set, flip over and cook until set.
- Lift onto waxed paper. Repeat.
- Mix ricotta, parmesan, salt, pepper, eggs, and mozzarella until well blended.
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Spoon 1/3 of the sauce evenly into a 10x15 roasting pan.
- Spoon heaping tablespoons of cheese mixture down the center of each pancake.
- Roll pancake edges over to create a stuffed rolls
- Place seam side down in roasting pan.
- Spoon remaining sauce over rolls.
- Bake 30 minutes or until sauce is hot and bubbly.