Sunday, August 22, 2010

Zucchini bread

I have posted so many things now that I forget what I have posted and what I haven't. I looked back through the posts, found that I haven't posted a recipe for zucchini bread.  How did this happen, since we have it fairly regularly. I usually make two loaves and freeze one, which thaws in the refrigerator in about a day.

Anyhow, I made this a couple of weeks ago when my mother in law came to visit. She eats fairly healthily, so I didn't want to send her into a diabetic coma with a lot of cookies or sugar. This time I used homegrown (well, my father in law's home grown) yellow squash and zucchini, so it was maybe a little sweeter than normal but it's all I had. I thought it was fabulous.

makes 2 loaves
3 c shredded zucchini (or combo summer squash/zucchini)
1-1/2 c sugar
1/2 c canola oil
4 eggs (or 3 eggs + 1 Tbl flax seed + 3 Tbl water)
3 c flour (I used half whole wheat)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
  • Heat oven to 350*
  • Grease, bottoms only, of two loaf pans.
  • In large bowl, mix zucchini sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Stir in remaining ingredients.
  • Pour into pans. 
  • Bake 50-60 minutes. 
  • When cool, freeze one and enjoy the other. I like to eat it warm with a little butter on top.

2 comments:

  1. I've been buying a ton of zucchini but I haven't done bread yet this year. I should do muffins!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually made this recipe in muffin form, and it works great. Just adjust your cooking time. It's a little easier to eat it as a muffin if you are on the go in the morning, too.

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It