Begin 2-1/2 hours early!
1-lb sausage, hamburger, or shredded chicken (chicken is my favorite!)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, pressed
16oz diced tomatoes, undrained
15 oz tomato sauce
2 Tbl dried parsley
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
9 lasagna noodles (or 1 box noodles of choice-I like rotini)
16 oz ricotta cheese
1/4 c grated parmesan cheese
1 Tbl dried parsley
1-1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 c shredded mozzarella
1/4 c grated parmesan
- Cook and stir meat, onion, and garlic in skillet until cooked through. Drain.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar, 2 Tbl parsley, basil, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about an hour or until it's the consistency of thick spaghetti sauce.
- Cook noodles as directed.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the sauce mixture.
- Mix ricotta cheese, 1/4 c parmesan cheese, 1 Tbl parsley, 1-1/2 tsp salt and 1-1/2 tsp oregano.
- Layer 1/3 each of noodles, sauce, mozzarella, and ricotta mixture in an ungreased 13x9in pan. Repeat two times.
- Spoon reserved sauce on top. Sprinkle with 1/4 c Parmesan cheese.
- Cook, uncovered, in 350* oven for 45 minutes.
- Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.