The verdict...These were delicious, although next time I will try to think of an easier/quicker way to make them. The softening of the shells and reheat time seemed to take forever (Maybe it was just me). I wonder if microwave softening and baking for the last part would be better...though I guess we couldn't call them "skillet enchiladas."
Recipe from "Taste of Home Ground Beef Recipe Cards"
1-lb ground turkey(or beef)
1 med onion, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can (10oz) enchilada sauce
1/3 c milk
1-2 Tbl canned green chilies
8 corn torillas
2-1/2 c shredded cheddar, divided
1/2 c chopped black olives (I left out)
- In a large skillet, cook meat and onion over medium heat. Drain.
- Stir in soup, enchilada sauce, milk, and chilies. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- In another skillet, heat 1/4 inch oil. Dip each tortilla in hot oil for 3 seconds on each side or just until limp. Drain on paper towels.
- Top each tortilla with 1/4 c cheese and 1 Tbl olives (I used 1 Tbl of meat sauce). Roll up and place over beef mixture, spooning some of mixture over the enchiladas.
- Cover and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; cover and cook until cheese is melted.