Friday, September 24, 2010

Skillet Enchiladas

In our house, we love Mexican-style foods....though this is no substitute for the authentic Mexican restaurant down the street. We eat tacos pretty regularly, but this week I thought I would change it up a bit and try enchiladas. I had some leftover corn tortillas that needed to be used anyhow. Why do corn tortillas come with so many in a package. I usually just need 12!

The verdict...These were delicious, although next time I will try to think of an easier/quicker way to make them. The softening of the shells and reheat time seemed to take forever (Maybe it was just me). I wonder if microwave softening and baking for the last part would be better...though I guess we couldn't call them "skillet enchiladas."
Recipe from "Taste of Home Ground Beef Recipe Cards"

1-lb ground turkey(or beef)
1 med onion, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can (10oz) enchilada sauce
1/3 c milk
1-2 Tbl canned green chilies
Canola oil
8 corn torillas
2-1/2 c shredded cheddar, divided
1/2 c chopped black olives (I left out)
  • In a large skillet, cook meat and onion over medium heat. Drain. 
  • Stir in soup, enchilada sauce, milk, and chilies. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
  • In another skillet, heat 1/4 inch oil. Dip each tortilla in hot oil for 3 seconds on each side or just until limp. Drain on paper towels. 
  • Top each tortilla with 1/4 c cheese and 1 Tbl olives (I used 1 Tbl of meat sauce). Roll up and place over beef mixture, spooning some of mixture over the enchiladas.
  • Cover and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; cover and cook until cheese is melted. 
Enchiladas on FoodistaEnchiladas

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Special Note

    For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

    sharing

    Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It