My mom started making these when I was in high school. I came home one night, and our table was covered with these eyeballs. It is a little creepy to look at, but don't be scared...unless you are allergic to peanut butter! Basically, these are the same thing as Buckeyes. My sister just took them in for my nephew's kindergarten party, and the kids went nuts over them.
Makes about 20
1/2 c peanut butter
3 Tbl butter, softened
1 c powdered sugar
4 oz vanilla candy coating
red & black gel icing
- Stir together peanut butter and butter.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, stirring until combined.
- Shape into 1 inch balls.
- Place on waxed paper and let stand about 20 minutes until dry.
- Melt candy coating (it's easier to do 1 square at a time) melting in microwave for about 45 seconds or so. Don't overcook!
- Dip balls, one at a time, into coating. Let excess drip off. Place on waxed paper.
- Press m&m's on top (m's facing down)
- Let stand til firm.
- Add black dot on top of m&m for pupil.
- Drizzle red gel onto balls for bloodshot eyes.
Other ideas for Halloween Party
- Witches fingers: breadsticks w/half a pepperoni on the end
- Bones: breadsticks w/knots tied on each end, marinara (blood) for dipping
- Mummies: Baked potato w/ strips of American cheese across top like mummy
- Dracula teeth: Peanut butter spread between 2 apple slices with almond slivers (teeth) sticking out
- Quick Sand: cheeseball w/hand shaped breadsticks sticking out (plus more hands and veggies to dip in)
- Spider Pie: Chicken pot pie w/ top crust cut in strips and placed like a web, make a spider for center