One piece of advice before making these: Only make what you will eat in one sitting. We usually save our leftovers for lunch the next day, but if you save these the mushroom gets a little watery. I recommend saving your sauce and uncooked mushrooms separately and putting them together to cook when you want to eat them.
Adapted from The Biggest Loser Book
5 whole portobello mushroom caps (about 5 inches each), stems removed
8oz tomato sauce
6oz tomato paste
1/2 clove minced garlic
1 tsp brown sugar (or substitute)
1 Tbl parsley
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt (or leave out if your watching)
dash bay leaves
1 lb turkey Italian sausage, cooked, drained, and crumbled
4 Tbl mozzarella cheese
2 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp basil
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Wipe mushrooms clean of any dirt. Place them on a baking sheet, gill side up.
- To make sauce: combine tomato sauce, tomato paste, onion, garlic, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Pour over cooked sausage and stir.
- Spoon meat sauce onto each cap, then sprinkle on the cheeses. (freeze extra sauce for another time)
- Place in oven and bake 6-8 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with basil. Serve immediately.