pumpkin streusel muffins. I picked them mainly because I had all the ingredients, but also because the recipe called for molasses (molasses cookie recipe here) and I have some that needs to be used. The great thing about these pumpkin muffins is that they are truly a breakfast muffin, not a dessert muffin. They are not super sweet, and give you just a hint of that pumpkin pie flavor. My husband, who doesn't like pumpkin pie, liked these muffins....even though he didn't want to like them since they were made with pumpkin. He's so stubborn! If he know something (pumpkin) is good for him, he won't eat it.
Makes 12 regular muffins + 12 mini muffins
1/4 c butter, softened
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
2/3 c canned pumpkin (or make your own)
1/2 c buttermilk
2 Tbl molasses
1 tsp grated orange peel
2 c flour (I used half white/half wheat)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2-1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c flour
3 Tbl brown sugar
2 Tbl cold butter
- Cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Beat in pumpkin, buttermilk, eggs, molasses, and orange peel.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Gradually add to pumpkin mixture.
- Stir until just blended.
- Fill greased or lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- For topping. Combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 375* for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.