Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Dinner Knots

Apple Pie Recipe coming soon
     The other day, the day of the pot roast, our friends came over for dinner. I didn't have time to run to the store for extra supplies because the neighbor's baby I watch was still napping. I thought we needed some type of bread/dinner roll to go with our roast. We almost always have oatmeal dinner rolls, which I love, but there weren't any frozen and I thought I'd try something different. The recipe I found in a Better Homes and Garden's Cookbook, is a basic yeast roll recipe but it tastes so good!
     I made my rolls into knots, but you could make crescents, Parker House rolls, or cloverleafs too.
     I used white whole wheat flour for my rolls. To substitute whole wheat flour for all purpose flour, you need to take out 2Tbl flour for each cup you use. I took out 9Tbl since I used 4-1/2 cups flour. Since this is a recipe using yeast, you will also need to add wheat gluten in order for the bread to rise correctly. Add 2tsp wheat gluten for each cup of wheat flour used. I added 9tsp of wheat gluten.

4-1/4--4-3/4 c flour (I used wheat, see note above)
1 pkg yeast (or 2-1/4 tsp yeast)
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening or butter (I used equal amounts of both to equal 1/3c)
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
  • Combine 2 cups of flour (adjust if using wheat flour!) and the yeast. 
  • Heat milk, sugar, shortening/butter, and salt just til warm (120*)
  • Add milk mixture to flour mixture along with eggs. Beat on low for about 30 seconds, scraping bowl. 
  • Beat on high for about 3 minutes.
  • Use a spoon to stir in (or stir setting on stand mixer) as much of the remaining flour as you can. I ended up using 4-1/2 cups of flour total.
  • Turn dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic; 6-8 minutes. 
  • Shape dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Turn once to grease surface. 
  • Cover and let rise in a warm place til doubled-about an hour....The time is not a concern, be sure it is doubled!
  • Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half, cover, and let rest for about 10 minutes.
  • Lightly grease baking sheets.
  • Divide each half of dough into 16 pieces. 
  • On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a rope. Tie in a knot. 
  • Place 2-3 inches apart on greased baking sheet. 
  • Let rise til doubled; about 30 minutes (again, time doesn't matter-make sure they are doubled!)
  • Bake in 375* oven for 12-15 minutes or til golden brown.
  • Spread butter on top as soon as they come out of the oven.

Bread

    2 comments:

    1. I just love the look of knotted bread, I think I'm going to do some for turkey day this year...this sounds like a tasty recipe :)

      ReplyDelete

    Special Note

    For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

    sharing

    Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It