|Apple Pie Recipe coming soon|
I made my rolls into knots, but you could make crescents, Parker House rolls, or cloverleafs too.
I used white whole wheat flour for my rolls. To substitute whole wheat flour for all purpose flour, you need to take out 2Tbl flour for each cup you use. I took out 9Tbl since I used 4-1/2 cups flour. Since this is a recipe using yeast, you will also need to add wheat gluten in order for the bread to rise correctly. Add 2tsp wheat gluten for each cup of wheat flour used. I added 9tsp of wheat gluten.
4-1/4--4-3/4 c flour (I used wheat, see note above)
1 pkg yeast (or 2-1/4 tsp yeast)
1 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening or butter (I used equal amounts of both to equal 1/3c)
1/2 tsp salt
- Combine 2 cups of flour (adjust if using wheat flour!) and the yeast.
- Heat milk, sugar, shortening/butter, and salt just til warm (120*)
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture along with eggs. Beat on low for about 30 seconds, scraping bowl.
- Beat on high for about 3 minutes.
- Use a spoon to stir in (or stir setting on stand mixer) as much of the remaining flour as you can. I ended up using 4-1/2 cups of flour total.
- Turn dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic; 6-8 minutes.
- Shape dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Turn once to grease surface.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place til doubled-about an hour....The time is not a concern, be sure it is doubled!
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half, cover, and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Divide each half of dough into 16 pieces.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a rope. Tie in a knot.
- Place 2-3 inches apart on greased baking sheet.
- Let rise til doubled; about 30 minutes (again, time doesn't matter-make sure they are doubled!)
- Bake in 375* oven for 12-15 minutes or til golden brown.
- Spread butter on top as soon as they come out of the oven.