When J told his dad I would be making persimmon pudding, he wasn't that excited. I guess he had some a long time ago, and wasn't a fan. After everyone else at the table had tasted this and liked it, he decided to try it again and he really liked it. I told my Mamaw it was big hit and she said she got the recipe from a lady in town who had won several local contests with the recipe. It is delicious!
This time around, I had extra batter that wouldn't fit into my pan, so I made some mini-puddings using a mini muffin tin. These are just the right size for a little snack.
2 cups persimmon pulp
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1-1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk +1-1/2 Tbl vinegar)
1/4 cup cream (or milnot)
1/4 cup butter
- Cream pulp and sugar
- Add beaten eggs and beat well.
- Put baking soda into buttermilk and stir until foamin stops. Add to pulp mixture alternately with dry ingredients which have been sifted together.
- When all is blended and well mixed, add the cream and butter.
- Stir into greased pan (approx 8x12)
- Bake about 1 hour @ 350*
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.