Sunday, November 28, 2010

Mamaw's Persimmon Pudding

     I meant to post this before we left for Thanksgiving the other day, but I ran out of time. This persimmon recipe is another family favorite, and I always miss it when we have Thanksgiving with my husband's family. So, this year I decided to make it for myself them. Apparently persimmon's are not as common as I thought, and most people have never even heard of them. This is news to me...since where I'm from, we have a persimmon festival every year! Here is a link with info about Indiana persimmons.
     When J told his dad I would be making persimmon pudding, he wasn't that excited. I guess he had some a long time ago, and wasn't a fan. After everyone else at the table had tasted this and liked it, he decided to try it again and he really liked it. I told my Mamaw it was big hit and she said she got the recipe from a lady in town who had won several local contests with the recipe. It is delicious!
     This time around, I had extra batter that wouldn't fit into my pan, so I made some mini-puddings using a mini muffin tin. These are just the right size for a little snack.

2 cups persimmon pulp
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1-1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk +1-1/2 Tbl vinegar)
1/4 cup cream (or milnot)
1/4 cup butter
  • Cream pulp and sugar
  • Add beaten eggs and beat well.
  • Put baking soda into buttermilk and stir until foamin stops. Add to pulp mixture alternately with dry ingredients which have been sifted together.
  • When all is blended and well mixed, add the cream and butter. 
  • Stir into greased pan (approx 8x12)
  • Bake about 1 hour @ 350*
  • Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

Persimmon on FoodistaPersimmon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It