Thursday, December 2, 2010

Healthier Joe Pasta

     I mentioned before that my family ate sloppy joe sauce instead of spaghetti sauce when I was younger.I guess it came from my mom growing up in a family of 5 kids. I think Mamaw wanted to make everyone happy, so they had a choice of sandwich or pasta.
     Our favorite was always No-Fuss, but I haven't found that in years. In my previous post, my homemade version was fantastic, but not really very healthy. I have come up with a better way that still tastes great. You could still serve this on a bun if you wish. We chose whole wheat pasta this time around.
Total cost for dish (with pasta): $4.75/6servings

1 lb ground meat (chicken, turkey, beef)
1 Tbl vinegar
2 tsp Worcestershire
1-1/2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 c chopped onion
1/3 c chopped green bell pepper
8 oz tomato sauce
1 (12oz) bottle  Chili Sauce
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 box pasta (or buns/bread)
  • Brown meat. 
  • Meanwhile, combine vinegar, worcestershire, and honey.
  • Drain meat. Add onion, bell pepper, tomato sauce, chili sauce, red pepper, chili powder, and vinegar mixture. Stir to blend.
  • Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer 20 minutes or until thickened. 
  • Serve over cooked pasta or on toasted buns.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally see this working for either pasta or a bun. Smart mom!

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It