Saturday, January 29, 2011

Blueberry French Toast

     When I was younger, my grandpa made me something that he called "french toast" and it was the most disgusting thing ever. He basically took a piece of bread and put it in a bowl, poured milk over the top and sprinkled with cinnamon...soggy bread *YUCK!* For years, I thought this was french toast and refused to eat it when someone offered to make it. Finally, someone made real french toast (without asking me first) and  I loved it. I like to refer to my grandpas recipe as "milk toast" (shudder). Ever since, I have loved french toast and try to find ways to make it a little different.
     I don't usually buy specialty breads when I shop, but one day I saw blueberry crumble bread and thought it sounded fabulous. It was in the same section as the cinnamon swirl breads.
     It was really good. I even enjoyed it toasted with only butter. Then, I thought how great would it be to use it to make french toast! So yummy. Here's what I did.

1/3c milk
1 egg
2 tsp honey, warmed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
blueberry crumble bread (or any bread)
  • Combine milk, egg, honey, cinnamon, and vanilla in a pie plate.
  • Dip bread in milk mixture, making sure to soak up on both sides.
  • place on hot griddle. Flip when browned.
  • Serve with pancake syrup...or blueberry syrup.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this does sound wonderful using blueberry bread- yum! And it's funny you should mention your milkbread....one of my husbands favorite treats (reminds him of being a kid) is bread 'n milk...which I have waiting in "draft" form. Basically the same thing! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It