One way I have stayed motivated is to eat a variety of foods. It just wouldn't work for me, or this blog for that matter, if I ate the same thing week in and week out. I found this recipe for Caprese Salad in The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook. I wasn't really sure if I would like it since I don't like plain tomatoes all that much, but it seemed a little like the bruschetta that I make in the summer time. I did like it...actually I loved it. J said it was his favorite part of the meal. We actually ended up putting slices of the salad on top of the chicken, which turned out bland.
This is actually pretty inexpensive to make as well. I bought a pack of 8 tomatoes at Aldi for about $1.99. I had all the other ingredients on hand.
for 1 serving
1 tomato, I used plum
1/2tsp olive oil
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
mozzarella cheese, shredded
basil, (I used dried, but fresh would be better)
- Slice tomato into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place one slice in the center of a plate. Spread the other slices around the center slice to create a circle.
- Sprinkle olive oil on top of tomato.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with cheese and basil.