Thursday, January 27, 2011

Three Bean Stew

   In winter, I want warm, hearty dishes. I hate being cold, so I feel like this makes my body think it's actually warmer than it is. When I saw this recipe and decided to make it, I didn't realize how much it would taste like chili. I was surprised how filling it was since it didn't have any meat. I think you could easily add ground turkey or even chicken for extra heartiness if you wanted, but you really don't need it! We had a side of cornbread muffins.

1 Tbl olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbl minced garlic
28oz diced fire roasted tomato
1tsp cumin
1tsp chili powder
1 can butter beans, rinsed & drained
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed & drained
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 c chopped cilantro
1 c frozen chopped spinach
  • Heat oil over medium high. Add onion and cook until softened. Add garlic.
  • Add tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder. Simmer for 5 minutes. 
  • Meanwhile, place 1-1/2 cups beans and 1/2 cup broth in blender. Add cilantro and puree.
  • Add beans, broth, and bean puree to pot. Simmer.
  • Add in spinach and simmer until heated. 
  • Serve with a dash of red pepper if you want added heat.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It