Adapted from Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook
1-1/2 Tbl sugar
2 tsp salt
1pkg (or 2-1/4tsp) yeast
2 c whole wheat flour
1-1/4 to 1-1/2 c whole wheat flour
1-1/8 c milk
2Tbl +2tsp butter
2Tbl + 2tsp molasses
- In large bowl, combine sugar, salt, yeast, 1-1/2c flour.
- In saucepan over low heat, heat milk, butter, and molasses until very warm.
- Gradually add liquid into dry ingredients (mixer on low). Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the remainder of the flour to make a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Shape into ball and place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. cover, and let rise until doubled or about an hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn on to flour surface. Cut in half, cover and rest for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
- With lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough into 12x8 rectangle. Starting at narrow end, roll up and pinch edges to seal. Place the roll, seam side down, in loaf pan.
- Cover with towel. Let rise in warm place until doubled, or about an hour
- Preheat oven to 400*. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden and sound hollow when tapped lightly with fingers. Remove from pan immediately to prevent soggy bottoms. Cool on wire racks.