This time I decided to use cinnamon and chocolate. Jerry and Elaine couldn't decide which was better, so I figured combining them would be the best option. This babka was "no lesser babka!" I agree with Jerry, Cinnamon should be on tables along with salt and pepper. You can never have too much cinnamon...or vanilla...or chocolate. The recipe did not disappoint. It was fantastic and had just the right amount of sweetness. Perfect just out of the oven after a traditional English dinner of Yorkshire pudding and roast.
makes 1 babka--takes 3 hours!
4oz warm milk (no warmer than 110*)
1-1/2 tsp yeast
1/4 c sugar
1 egg, plus 1 yolk (save the white for egg wash)
2-1/4 c flour (take away 4-1/2Tbl if using whole wheat)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
5 Tbl butter, cut up, room temperature
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/4 c butter
1/2 c flour
1/2 c brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
- Dissolve yeast and 1tablespoon of sugar in warm milk. Let stand until creamy.
- Mix eggs,the rest of the sugar, and yeast mixture. Whisk until combined.
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine flour and salt. Add egg mixture and beat until combined. Switch to dough hook. Add butter and knead 10 minutes until a smooth dough forms.
- Cover and let rise until doubled...about an hour
- Butter a loaf pan. Add parchment paper. Butter the parchment paper.
- Punch down the dough and let rest for 5 minutes. My one year old loved doing this!
- Roll dough into a 16inch square. Brush edges of the dough with egg wash.
- Spread chocolate chips over dough leaving 1/2inch around edges. Sprinkle with cinnamon...or use cinnamon chips (up to 1/2 cup)
- Roll the dough up, pinching edges are you go. Twist the rolled dough 5-6 times to make it longer. Fold into a horseshoe shape. Cross the ends to form a figure eight, and twist two more times. Fit the twisted dough into the prepared pan.
- Let rise 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350*
- To make streusel, combine butter, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut into mixture until it resembles bread crumbs. Sprinkle on top of loaf.
- Bake 50 minutes rotating pan after 25. Turn temperature down to 325* and back 15-25 minutes longer, until golden brown and knife inserted comes out clean. Do not underbake.
Sweet Tooth Friday by Alli N' Son
Sweets for Saturday by Sweet as Sugar Cookies