Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Trifle

    For my husbands birthday, he said he wanted something with peanut butter. I was trying to think of something I had seen, but all I could come up with was this torte. The problem was, the recipe calls for artificial sweeteners which I try not to use (I feel yucky if I do). I wondered if it would still work if I adjusted it to more natural ingredients (including wheat flour). I didn't see how chocolate and peanut butter could turn into anything that wasn't edible, so I went for it.

    The result was a very rich, think gallon of milk, fudgy chocolate cake and creamy rich peanut butter topping which I made into a trifle. Truth be told, I was a little worried the peanut butter topping would be too heavy for the cake and it would collapse...that's why I made it into a trifle. It's so good...and even better the next day!

     I was a little worried when I saw that you add boiling water after the batter is mixed, especially because it made the batter really runny. But the result was a very rich, moist, fudgy cake! 

     Sorry about the pics...these don't do this cake justice!

CAKE:
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour (or 1-3/4 cups minus 3-1/2 Tbl whole wheat flour)
1-2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup fat-free milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER FILLING:
1-3/4 cups cold fat-free milk
1 package (3.4 ounce)  instant vanilla pudding mix
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (I used Jiff Natural)
TOPPING:
2 oz milk chocolate chips
  • Coat two 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray; line with waxed paper. Coat the paper with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; set aside.
  • In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg substitute, oil and vanilla; add to flour mixture. Beat for 2 minutes. Stir in water. Pour into prepared pans.
  • Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
  • In a large bowl, whisk 1-3/4 cups milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes; let stand 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in peanut butter. Add a little milk (2Tbl), if needed.
  • Place bottom layer in trifle bowl (or glass bowl); spread half of filling over cake layer; top with second layer and remaining filling. Chill for 1 hour or until serving.
  • For topping, in a microwave, melt chocolate. Stir until smooth. Drizzle on top of trifle before serving.

This is linked to:
Sweet Tooth Fridays at Alli N' Son
And Sweets for Saturday at Sweet As Sugar Cookies





    16 comments:

    1. I've had chocolate trifle before, but the thought of adding peanut butter to it just fills me with delight. This sounds too good to be true. I hope you'll definitely bring this to the Sweets for a Saturday linky party this weekend.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Yes, I plan to bring this to Saturday Sweets! It is so rich and good.

      ReplyDelete
    3. This sounds amazing! Thank you for linking up. I hope to see you again next week.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Oh my that looks tasty.....and so so rich. :)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday. Have fun looking at all the other sweets.

      ReplyDelete
    6. I really just want a spoon and a Big glass of icy cold milk... This looks amazing.. off to share with some friends who also LOVE peanut butter and chocolate :)

      ReplyDelete
    7. I saw your post on "Sweet for a Saturday" and needed to come read the recipe. This looks so tasty!

      ReplyDelete
    8. yum! I love Peanut butter and chocolate! Never thought about putting it into a trifle though! great idea!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Oooohh yummy! My two favorite ingredients featured: chocolate and peanut butter! Definitely looks like something my mister would enjoy too with a big glass of cold milk.

      ReplyDelete
    10. I agree with all the above. I have a pb lover in the house, she will love these :) I am having my first give away, come by to enter.
      mickey
      http://monstermama-monstermama.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-first-give-away.html

      ReplyDelete
    11. This Truffle looks amazing..! I have been searching for a chocolate truffle with peanutbutter, never thought to use a pudding mix..! Thanks for sharing this..!

      ReplyDelete
    12. Oh it is soooo yummy! I made it for a meal at church on Sunday. My daughter 'ordered' me to make it again! ANd i will =)

      ReplyDelete
    13. OH, good! I'm glad you liked it.

      ReplyDelete
    14. I'm confused...at the top you mentioned wheat flour, but the ingredient list names AP flour. I think my husband would love this trifle and I'd love to try it with wheat flour!

      ReplyDelete
    15. Brook, Thanks for pointing this out. I did use whole wheat, but the original called for regular. I will ammend the recipe so you can try it.

      ReplyDelete
    16. I saw your link at sweet tooth friday and couldn't resist to come here to check!
      Last year I was looking for a triffle recipe for Holidays, I didn't find anything that surprise me and I ended up making tiramissu... Now I have a decadent recipe! Thank You for sharing!

      ReplyDelete

    Special Note

    For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

    sharing

    Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It