I used half of this recipe to make a crust for this breakfast pizza, and half for dinner rolls with dinner the next day. I also used a couple to try an idea for a dessert...I put about a tablespoon of cream cheese with a couple chocolate chips and a couple cinnamon chips on the dough before rolling it up. YUM!
adapted from Allrecipes.com
2-1/2 tsp yeast
3/4 c warm water
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 c shortening
3-1/2 c whole wheat flour
7 tsp wheat gluten
1/4 c butter, softened
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and a couple tablespoons of the sugar.
- Stir in the rest of the sugar, the eggs, shortening, and 2 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in remaining flour until smooth. Scrape the bowl and knead.
- Cover and rise until doubled. about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough. Divide in half. Roll each half into a 12 inch circle. Spread with butter. Cut into 10-15 wedges. Roll up, starting with the wide end. Place rolls, with point under, on a greased cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cover and rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 400* for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. (If you plan to freeze half of your rolls, bake until set but not golden. Remove from oven, cool, and freeze. When you want to use them, thaw, and bake until golden)
- Brush tops with butter when they come out of the oven.