Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hashbrown Casserole, Revisited

     One of my favorite things that my mamaw makes is hashbrown casserole. It's very similar to the one at Cracker Barrel, but I think hers is better. This week was my second time making this dish, and I thought I would add some smoked sausage to make it a main dish casserole.  I guess you could eat cheesy potatoes as your main dish without any meat, but I feel like most things seem more like a main course if they have meat included.

From original post....
This cheesy potato dish is great any time of day. This time, I made it for breakfast when out of town guests stayed for New Year's, but just last week my grandma made it as a side for Christmas dinner. Sorry, there is no picture. I was entertaining said guests. About $6 to make 12 servings.

1 2-lb bag hashbrowns-thawed ($2.38)
1 can cream of chicken soup ($0.59)
1 pt sour cream ($1.34)
1 stick butter-melted (no wonder it's so good!) ($0.15)
1 c chopped onion (or sprinkle dried onion)
2 c grated mild cheddar ($1.45)
1 tsp salt
1-lb smoked sausage, sliced
Topping
2 c cornflakes (or rice chex), crumbled ($0.10)
4 Tbl melted butter($0.07)

  • Mix all ingredients, except topping, together in a large bowl
  • Spread into 9x13 baking dish
  • Add topping
  • bake @350 for 1 hour

1 comment:

  1. I used to make this all the time! Oh how I love it!! I used to add ham but I love the idea of smoked sausage, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It