I got this recipe from a cookbook my students made for Mother's Day gifts. Each student brought in their favorite recipe their mom makes, and we typed them up and bound them. These books contain some of my favorite recipes!
1-lb sausage or chicken
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
16oz can diced tomato
15oz tomato sauce
2 Tbl dried parsley
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c shredded carrot (opt)
1/2 c frozen chopped spinach (opt)
9 uncooked lasagna noodles (I used whole wheat)
16oz ricotta cheese
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbl dried parsley
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 c shredded mozzarella (I used Italian blend instead)
1/4c grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook and stir meat, onion, and garlic in a sauce pan. Drain and return to pan.
- Add tomatoes with liquid, tomato sauce, sugar, parsley, basil, and salt.
- Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat ans simmer until mixture is like thick spaghetti sauce; about an hour.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the sauce.
- Mix ricotta, Parmesan, parsley, salt, oregano, and Italian seasoning.
- Lay 3 uncooked lasagna noodles in the bottom of baking dish. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over the noodles. Spoon on 1/3 of the sauce and shredded cheese.
- Repeat two more times.
- Spoon reserved sauce over the top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (and a little more shredded cheese if you like).
- Cook uncovered @ 350* for 45 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Real Sustenance's Seasonal Sundays