This is a pretty simple baked mac and cheese with lots of flavor....but not the flavor of veggies! We fed it to our picky friend and her four year old, and no one but me knew about the veggies. Shhh!
adapted from Double Delicious
1 box whole wheat or veggie spirals (or other pasta)
2 Tbl butter
1-1/2 Tbl flour
2-1/2 c milk
1 cup shredded cheddar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup pumpkin (or homemade pumpkin puree)
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 Tbl Parmesan
- Boil pasta according to package directions. I like to cook it a little less than the box says, since it will continue to cook in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 375*. Coat a 9x12 pan with cooking spray.
- Heat butter in saucepan. Whisk in flour to combine. Slowly whisk in milk. Bring to boil and cool until thickens. Add cheddar, salt, and pumpkin. Whisk until smooth.
- Stir cheese sauce into the pasta.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese on top. Bake until bubbly and breadcrumbs start to brown....Maybe 20 minutes.