Yesterday, I was pondering the muffins I would make for the week, and I found this recipe in my box. I was standing next to a very ripe banana at the time. Here's goes my mind: Bananas and cinnamon are very good together...and so are bananas and chocolate. This can't go wrong.
Since I was already going to add bananas into the recipe to try to make muffins, I thought I would change a couple of other things to make this a little bit healthier. The result was a a very good, cake like muffin with a delicious sugar crust. They turned out even better than I had hoped! We ended up with 24, so we froze about half of them to eat another week. I'll show you the recipe for a dozen. Enjoy!
As a note, bananas can replace butter in baking measure for measure. Be sure that you want to taste the banana in your recipe though, since they do have a strong flavor. Applesauce can also be used to replace about half of the butter, but it does change the texture so be careful with that one.
Chocolate Banana Batter
1 mashed banana + enough butter(or applesauce) to = 1/2 cup
1 cup sugar
2 tsp milled flax seed
2 Tbl water
2/3 cup flour (take out 1Tbl/cup whole wheat flour)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 Tbl + 1tsp water
1/3 tsp vanilla
Cocoa-Spice Sugar Crust
1 Tbl + 1tsp sugar
1 Tbl + 1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cocoa powder
- Cream banana, butter, and sugar on medium speed until light and creamy.
- Add egg, flax seed, and water. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, water, and vanilla.
- On low speed, alternately add in the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture to the butter. Beat until just blended.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin cups. Set aside while making the sugar crust.
- Whisk together sugars, cinnamon, cocoa, ginger, and cloves.
- Sprinkle on the muffin batter.
- Bake @ 350* until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 20 minutes)