The original recipe from Kraft calls for Pepper Jack Velveeta. I was trying to go a little more healthy...or a least use unprocessed cheese. I looked everywhere for shredded Pepper Jack to no avail. I ended up buying a block of it and shredding it myself. I think using this cheese actually made these taste even better than the Velveeta. I also added diced onion, red pepper, and celery for flavor and to make it a little more healthy.
I estimate this dish cost about $4-5 to make, depending on brands, sales, etc.
1lb ground turkey (or beef)
1/4 c each diced onion, celery, and red bell pepper
2 cans enchilada sauce (I think they were about 10oz each)
6oz shredded pepper jack cheese
- Heat oven to 350*
- Brown meat with onion, celery, and peppers. Drain and add 1/2 cup enchilada sauce
- Spread 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of 9x13 pan.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave to soften.
- Spoon 1/4 cup meat onto the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place in the pan. I had to use a toothpick to hold some of them together.
- Top with the rest of the enchilada sauce and the cheese.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until the cheese melts. Be sure to remove toothpicks if you used them!