I've been working on a few variations to recipes to cut out a few calories or fat. You wouldn't know it with these. They came out delicious, moist, and with good texture. My favorite part was the Nutella surprise in the middle of the muffin!
I figured up some nutritional information using myfitnesspal.com. One muffin has 180 calories, 7 grams of fat, and 3 grams of fiber if you use whole wheat flour, flax, and applesauce as listed.
for 12 muffins:
1-1/2 cups flour (Take away 3 Tbl if using whole wheat)
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 c sugar
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c very soft butter (or use no applesauce and 1/2c butter)
1-1/2 tsp flax
1-1/2 Tbl water
8 oz pumpkin (homemade puree or canned)
1/4 c Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350*. Place liners in muffin tin, or oil it.
- Mix flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Whisk sugar, applesauce, and butter. Add eggs and whisk until fluffy. Add pumpkin.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Place about a tablespoon of batter in each muffin cup.
- Add about 1/2 teaspoon of Nutella, and top with more batter.
- Using a toothpick, swirl a little more Nutella on each muffin top.
- Bake about 20 minutes in preheated oven.