Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tex-Mex Casserole

     We had a little leftover Texas Caviar from last night, and I hated to throw it out being the cheapskate that I am. I started thinking of what would taste good with a salsa like flavor, and of course I thought of tacos. I didn't have taco shells, but I did have some ground turkey. As I rummaged through the cabinets and refrigerator, I found a few other things that would work for a Tex-Mex topped cornbread.  In the end, we had a very good dinner using things we had on hand. I should do this more often!
     When I browned the ground turkey, I added chopped onion, celery and red peppers. I also added 4 cubes of frozen pumpkin puree. Shhh! Don't tell my family!

1/3 c sugar
1/2 c shortening (I used 2T plain yogurt+2T applesauce+2T shortening to lower fat)
1 c milk
1 c flour (take out 1T if using whole wheat)
1 c cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tsp milled flaxseed
1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
3 Tbl taco seasoning (or 1 pkt)
about 1/2 cup leftover Texas Caviar (or salsa of your choice)
2 Tbl queso dip
shredded cheddar
  • Brown ground turkey.
  • Meanwhile, combine sugar, shortening, milk, flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, egg, and flaxseed. Pour into8x8 pan. Set aside.
  • Drain meat and add taco seasoning, drained Texas Caviar, and queso dip. Spoon this mixture over the cornbread batter. Top with cheese.
  • Bake @ 400* for about 25 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Love that you added the pumpkin! Nice to see you so creative. I'm still a recipe hugger. I can alter a recipe but I have a harder time just pulling it out of the frig and cupboards. Getting better though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you could do it. Most recipes for a particular thing are pretty much the same, so just alter it to your liking:) This recipe was basically created from a couple of cornbread recipes that I picked apart.

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It