I was so excited when I got my blog, Barbara Bakes. The problem was, I wanted to make more than one of her recipes! They all looked so good. Finally, I decided on this overnight baked blueberry french toast, and I was not disappointed.
I didn't follow the recipe, although the original looks delightful. When I went to the store to buy my "chewy, dense bread," I saw English Muffin bread. I had never seen it before, and thought it would be so good as french toast. Another change I made was to add cream cheese and a blueberry sauce. I will definitely be making this again. I'll probably wait until we have company, as a 9x13 dish is pretty big for just the three of us. We ate this for several breakfasts that week!
Baked French Toast
6 slices of chewy, dense bread; torn (I used English Muffin bread)
2 Tbl melted butter plus enough milk to make 1 cup
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp all spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup agave (Barbara says you could use 1/2 cup sugar)
1-1/2 tsp cornstarch
8oz cream cheese, cubed
2 cups blueberries
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 Tbl cornstarch
1 cup blueberries
- Place bread in a large pan. Mix egg, butter/milk, and vanilla. Pour over the bread. Refrigerate overnight.
- Combine all spice, cinnamon, agave, cornstarch,blueberries, and cream cheese.
- Pour the blueberry mixture in with the bread, and carefully stir it up.
- Drizzle the top with the melted butter.
- Bake @ 400* for 30 minute or until golden brown
- Meanwhile, make the blueberry sauce: Combine the sugar, water, cornstarch, blueberries, and butter. Cook until thickened. Pour on warm toast.