Monday, June 13, 2011

Meat Free Monday: Red Beans and Rice

     I had never eaten this classic dish before a few months ago when I ran across the recipe in the little book that comes with the crock-pot. I guess I always thought it would be super spicy, but it's not. I just love the seasonings and the heartiness (yes, even without meat!). It's super cheap to make, too!
You can double the recipe if you want, but it does make a lot of food!


1/2 lb dry red beans
1/2 onion, chopped (I used onion powder)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 14 1/2 oz. can vegetable (or beef) broth
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
3 cups cooked rice (brown rice is more flavorful and healthier)
  • In large pot, cover beans with three times their volume of water and bring to a boil.
  • Boil for 10 minutes, and then remove from heat. 
  • Cover and let stand for 1 hour and then drain.
  • Combine all of the ingredients in the slow cooker except the rice.
  • Cover, cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.
  • Serve over the hot cooked rice.
Link up with your Meat Free dishes....

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the invite to link up my pizza. It would be delicious even without the goat cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the invite! your beans and rice look yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy. Red beans and rice! I love that you used dried beans instead of canned. They are so much cheaper that way and you can add your own flavors to the beans while they cook. I linked the lentil shepherds pie. Thanks for stopping by Holy Cannoli Recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just linked up with my Fluffy Pancakes. Thanks for letting me know about your linky party.

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It