Thursday, June 16, 2011

Strawberry Freezer Jam with Honey

     I have made so many things with strawberries this year, but this jam might have been the easiest. And, the best part is that I will have fresh strawberry jam waiting in my freezer when I'm craving it! I'm definitely going to make blueberry and black raspberry. The U-pick berry farm near us says they will be available for picking within a couple of weeks.
     When we were at the end of our fresh strawberry stash, I was telling my mom about trying to use them up so they wouldn't spoil. She mentioned strawberry freezer jam, and I was a little nervous. It seemed like it would be really hard to make. I went to the store and found two kinds of pectin...classic and no sugar needed. I chose the no sugar needed, so I could sweeten the jam with fruit juice and honey. The verdict? It might be the best jam ever! I gave Miss E some jam and toast for lunch that day and she said, "This good toast, Mommy!" Such a  strange compliment from a two year old =P

  from back of Ball no sugar needed small batch package
1-1/2 cup strawberries
1/3 cup fruit juice concentrate (I used frozen apple juice concentrate)
1 pkg small batch no sugar needed pectin (or 1-1/2 Tbl nsn pectin)
1/2 cup honey
  • Wash, hull, and crush strawberries. Crush to your desired chunkiness..the bigger your chunks, the more chunky your jam will be.
  • COMBINE prepared fruit with fruit juice in a large saucepan. Gradually stir in Pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
  • ADD  honey. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
  • Add to freezer safe jars.  Makes 2-8oz jars. When cools to room temp, place in freezer or enjoy now.


Check out these other Strawberry recipes from my blog...
Crepes (coming as Meatfree Monday post!)
Strawberry Shortcake, 2 ways
Strawberry White Chocolate Chip Muffins
Strawberry Muffins
Strawberry Glaze Pie
LowFat Strawberry Dessert (cake)
Baked Oatmeal
Strawberry Syrup (for waffles/pancakes)



SweetasSugarCookies



Sweet Tooth Friday

1 comment:

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It