Thursday, June 9, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake; 2 ways

     I mentioned earlier in the week that we went to pick strawberries. We have been eating them like crazy; so much that I'm almost tired of the....almost. A few things we have made are strawberry white chocolate chip muffins, crepes, strawberry honey freezer jam, and strawberry shortcake (twice!).
     I love strawberry shortcake. It's one of those treats that reminds me of staying at my Paw's when I was little. I think it must have been one of his favorite desserts, because I remember eating it a lot. I actually used his recipe as a base for both of my versions.
    The first time we made it (the picture on the left), I made a lot of substitutions in an effort to make the shortcake a little more healthy. The result was delicious, but a little heavy. Basically the taste was very similar to the original, but it was more dense. It was worth it since it was a little more healthy...even though I served it with Homemade Vanilla Blue Bell ice cream. The second time I made it, I did not make substitutions besides to use whole wheat flour. We only have whole wheat flour in the house so regular flour wasn't an option. This was just as I remember it when I was little. So good with the sweetened ricotta creme!

I made my shortcake in a 9 inch pie plate, but you could use an 8x8 dish or double the recipe for a 9x13.

Option 1 (more healthy, more dense)         
2 cups flour (minus4Tbl for whole wheat)   
1/3 cup agave                                            
1/4 cup butter                                            
1/4 cup applesauce                                    
1 egg                                                         
4-1/2 oz milk                                            
                                                                 
Option 2 (classic)
2 cups flour (minus 4T for ww)
1/4 c sugar
1Tbl baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1-1/3 cup milk
  • Grease and flour your pan. 
  • Combine all ingredients. 
  • For option 1 bake at 425* , for option 2 bake at 450* until a toothpick comes out clean.

Linked up to
Sweet Tooth Friday



    2 comments:

    1. Greetings From Southern California

      I am your newest follower. I invite you to visit my blog and follow back if you want too.

      Have a Nice Day :-)

      BTW, your SS looks great! :-)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi!
      I would love for you to come and link up at A Themed Baker’s Sunday, where this week is a sweet theme: Random! Yep, Whatever sweety deliciousness you made this week, you can post!
      http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/06/themed-bakers-sunday-9.html
      Alyssa

      ReplyDelete

    Special Note

    For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

    sharing

    Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It