Sunday, July 24, 2011

Meatfree Monday: Sloppy Joes with Lentils

     Lentils has been a scary word in our house. The first time we had them, we tried this recipe that I assume was supposed to be a variation of baked beans. It was terrible. I'm not sure if I didn't do it right, or if it was a bad recipe. Either way, it gave lentils a bad name here. I had half a bag sitting around for a while, then I started mixing it into things like chili and other dishes with a lot of texture.
     Last week, I saw a recipe for Tacos made with lentils and I started wondering if lentils could replace meat in other recipes as well. I thought I would give it a try with Sloppy Joes. It turned out great! These sloppy joes really did taste like the "real thing." The texture was slightly more bumpy, but overall I would make these again. Lentils are so good for you, so it's worth the texture tradeoff.

1cup lentils
1 Tbl vinegar
2 tsp Worcestershire
1-1/2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 c chopped onion
1/3 c chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped banana pepper or pepperoncini
8 oz tomato sauce
1 (12oz) bottle  Chili Sauce
1/4 tsp chili powder
Hot dog buns (or other buns/bread)

  • Boil 1 cup lentils in about 3 cups of water until soft. I boiled them for about 20 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, combine vinegar, worcestershire, and honey.
  • Drain lentils if needed. Add onion, bell pepper, pepperoncini, tomato sauce, chili sauce, red pepper, chili powder, and vinegar mixture. Stir to blend.
  • Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer 20 minutes or until thickened. 
  • Serve on toasted buns.
This week's featured recipes...
Don't forget to grab my "I was featured" button if you are one of the following:

Taco Lentils by Creatively Domestic










Black Bean Burgers at Hezzi-D's










Penne with Creamy Zucchini and Basil Sauce at Eats Well with Others

2 comments:

  1. I just made BBQ lentil sandwiches today for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for making sloppy joes healthier and even more delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It