Thursday, August 4, 2011

Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes

     We still have a lot of zucchini! I have given some away. I have shredded and stored in the freezer. I have baked. I have hidden it in different things. I have grilled it. I have had it...just about. Just when I think I've had enough, I find another recipe I want to try out...or three. This cupcake recipe is actually a combination of three recipes.
     Of course there are tons of recipes for chocolate cupcakes...and tons of recipes for cheesecakes...and tons of recipes for zucchini chocolate cupcakes...but none with all three together...until now. The idea was born when I realized that I had quite a bit of ricotta cheese left over from my stuffed shells earlier this week (recipe coming on Meatfree Monday!). I knew you could make cheesecake with ricotta, though I had never tried. I also had a couple zucchini from the garden...and my mind just went from there to here...
     These are very moist and rich, especially those smeared with nutella. Isn't everything better with nutella smeared on top? Either way you try it, these cupcakes are delicious.
for other zucchini recipes, see the bottom of this post...

makes 12 (overflowing the mold) cupcakes
1/2 cup + 2Tbl butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1-1/4 cup flour
6 Tbl cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 cup grated zucchini

1 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg, separated
3 tsp honey
1 Tbl sugar
3 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla

nutella, optional

  • Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add egg. Stir in vanilla. 
  • Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 
  • Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture. Add the yogurt.
  • Fold in the zucchini.
  • Scoop into greased/lined muffin tins, filling only about half way (I learned my lesson!). Set aside.
  • For filling: Beat ricotta  with egg yolk, honey, sugar, cornstarch and vanilla until smooth. 
  • Whip egg white separately until soft peaks form. Fold whites into the cheese mixture.
  • Scoop a little of the filling on top of each muffin tin.
  • Bake @ 350* for about 23 minutes or until set.
  • Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from muffin tin. 
  • Smear with nutella if desired. 
linked up to
and 

Zucchini Recipes...
Oatmeal Butterscotch cookies
Zucchini Enchiladas
Zucchini Banana Craisin Muffins (or bread) 
Spaghetti Marinara 
Sloppy Joe Meatloaf
Meatballs
Fajitas
Fresh Veggie Skillet

zucchini fries
zucchini bread
Zucchini Gratin

5 comments:

  1. Three of my favorite things in a cupcake! This is a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate + cheesecake is always a win in my book. Thanks for sharing the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm, these look amazing! I would love for you to link up to my Sweet Treats Party this weekend! Hope to see you there :)

    Ashton
    http://www.somethingswanky.com
    {Sweet Treats Thursday} Thu-Sun

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds fantastic! Zucchini makes everything so wonderfully moist and I love ricotta! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Yum! Yum! Chocolate and cheesecake are two of my favorite things! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe at Muffin Monday! Have a great week and hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It