Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cinnamon Coffee Cake

     I had to take a couple continuing education classes this summer to keep up my teaching license. I got to meet a really neat lady named Kara, who happened to be in both of my classes. During the first week, we were all assigned a day to bring in a snack and she brought in this most amazing coffee cake. She told a story of how her nephews band wrote a song about this coffee cake. It really is that good.
     A couple of weeks ago, I convinced my mom that we needed to have this when we all came to visit. It's super easy to make, and tastes just a good as I remember. One lesson I learned from making it at home though...the glaze is really supposed to be a glaze that gets soaked into the cake (Kara's recipe called for a 9x13 pan and we used a bundt pan). We changed it a bit and made a thicker icing by adding more powdered sugar. Our icing almost overpowered the coffee cake. If you like it that way go ahead, but I think next time around I'll stick to Kara's original...which is what is posted below.

2 cups crushed graham crackers
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter, melted
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
yellow or white cake mix
1/2 cup oil
3 eggs
1 cup water
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tsp vanilla

  • Mix the graham crackers, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon. Set aside.
  • Beat cake mix, oil, eggs, and water for about 2 minutes. 
  • Grease a 9x13 pan. Pour in half of the cake batter. Top that with about half of the graham cracker mixture. Add another layer of cake and graham mixtures.
  • Bake @ 350* for about 30-35 minutes. 
  • Meanwhile, make the glaze. Mix the powdered sugar, water, and vanilla. 
  • Pour the glaze over cake immediately after baking. 
  • Enjoy...it freezes well too.
Linking up to 
and
and

2 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious. I'd love a slice of this right now. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good coffee cake on a lazy Saturday morning.

    Thanks for stopping by Sweet Tooth Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It