A couple of weeks ago, I convinced my mom that we needed to have this when we all came to visit. It's super easy to make, and tastes just a good as I remember. One lesson I learned from making it at home though...the glaze is really supposed to be a glaze that gets soaked into the cake (Kara's recipe called for a 9x13 pan and we used a bundt pan). We changed it a bit and made a thicker icing by adding more powdered sugar. Our icing almost overpowered the coffee cake. If you like it that way go ahead, but I think next time around I'll stick to Kara's original...which is what is posted below.
2 cups crushed graham crackers
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter, melted
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
yellow or white cake mix
1/2 cup oil
1 cup water
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tsp vanilla
- Mix the graham crackers, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Beat cake mix, oil, eggs, and water for about 2 minutes.
- Grease a 9x13 pan. Pour in half of the cake batter. Top that with about half of the graham cracker mixture. Add another layer of cake and graham mixtures.
- Bake @ 350* for about 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Mix the powdered sugar, water, and vanilla.
- Pour the glaze over cake immediately after baking.
- Enjoy...it freezes well too.
Linking up to