Sunday, September 25, 2011

Meatfree Monday: Enchilada Casserole


      I found this recipe from McCormick on the back of a seasoning packet. This is another recipe that I just skipped the addition of meat. If you aren't going for a meat free meal, it called for one pound of ground turkey (or beef or pork or chicken). I thought it turned out wonderfully. It was filling and full of flavor. Actually, it reminded me a lot of one of our favorite recipes: Southwest Lasagna. And, since it doesn't have meat or cottage cheese, it's a lot more budget friendly too.

2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (if desired)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
16 oz tomato sauce
15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained and rinsed
Chopped banana peppers (I used 4)
whole wheat tortillas
shredded cheddar cheese

  • Heat onion in skillet. Add tomato sauce, beans, corn, and banana peppers. Stir in all the spices (except red pepper) Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add red pepper if desired.
  • Spread about 1/2 cup of the bean mixture in a 9x13 pan. Top with a layer of tortillas, overlapping as needed. Layer with half of the remaining bean mixture and half of the cheese. Repeat with more tortillas and the rest of the mixture and cheese.
  • Bake at 350* for 15 minutes or until heated through. Let stand a couple minutes before serving.




Meatfree features of the week...
a small collection of my favorite meat free recipes that I come across as I search the web each week. All the recipes that I post from various blogs will be stumbled to bring a little extra love to their posts...and if you happen to be one of my featured recipes you can grab my "I was featured on Meat Free Monday" button for your post.








Nutella French Toast from The Kitchen is my Playground
Well, who doesn't love Nutella?












Homemade Apple Butter from the Suburban Settler
I'm pretty sure I'd have a Euro style dinner of biscuits and apple butter if I had this!















Lavish Flatbread Pizzas from SkinnyTaste
Simple and delicious!

1 comment:

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It