Sunday, September 18, 2011

Meatfree Monday: Pizza Monkey Muffins

     I've been seeing pizza monkey bread popping up all over food blogs lately. I love pizza, and I love monkey bread so naturally I had to try my hand at pizza monkey bread. I decided to take a little bit different spin on this though.  Basically, I took my monkey muffin recipe  and turned it into pizza monkey muffins.
     These were just the perfect size and would be so fun at a party...a small party because they were pretty time consuming. Miss E thought they were fabulous because she could dip them in marinara...and to a toddler, anything that you can dip is the best thing ever.
     This time around I used mozzarella and mushrooms, but if you were not going for a meatfree meal you could easily use pepperoni or any other pizza toppings you like. Also, to save a little time you could skip the homemade dough and use store bought biscuits.

3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or 4c AP flour)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1-1/4 cup buttermilk (or 2 Tbl vinegar + enough milk to make 1-1/4c)
sliced mushrooms
mozzarella cheese, cubed
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 Tbl butter
1-1/2 tsp Italian seasonings

  • Dough: Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, butter, and buttermilk. Knead about 20 times. 
  • Pinch off 1 inches pieces of dough and roll into a ball. Flatten the ball with the bottom of a cup. 
  • Place a cheese cube and other toppings on your dough and roll into a ball with the toppings in the middle of the ball. 
  • Plop 3-4 balls into each muffin cup
  • Heat garlic and butter until garlic just begins to brown. Remove from heat and stir in Italian seasonings.
  • Pour the melted butter into each muffin cup.
  • Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes.
  • Remove from pan and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.






Meatfree features of the week...
a small collection of my favorite meat free recipes that I come across as I search the web each week. All the recipes that I post from various blogs will be stumbled to bring a little extra love to their posts...and if you happen to be one of my featured recipes you can grab my "I was featured on Meat Free Monday" button for your post.




Grilled Vegetarian Tostadas by Better Recipes
























Chickpea Curry by the Vegan Stoner

































No comments:

Post a Comment

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It