Monday, September 19, 2011

Secret Recipe Club: Sour Cream Coffee Cake Muffins...sort of

     I have the pleasure of participating in the Secret Recipe Club again this month. Haven't heard of it, or want to join in next month? Check out the link back to the site. Basically, you will get assigned a blog (and a secret blogger will be assigned your blog). You have to pick one recipe from their blog and make it, making any changes you like. Then, you blog about it with a blog hop on the assigned day. It's so much fun to see who has your blog and what recipe they pick...and what they think of it. You also get to find a lot of other neat blogs that you may not have found otherwise.
     This month I was assigned http://familyfriendsandfood.blogspot.com/ . She has a lot of interesting and delicious looking recipes on her blog, but I finally decided on these sour cream coffee cake muffins. I've really been on a coffee cake kick lately. My previous post for the cinnamon coffee cake was amazing, and I expected no less from these muffins. Coffee cake in muffin form is so much easier to eat and make. It takes much less time too! I don't normally buy sour cream, but we always have plain yogurt on hand so that is what I used to make these muffins. They turned out very moist and my husband claims they are the best muffins I've ever made. I'll have to agree, they are somewhat addictive.
     I did make a couple of changes to the recipe including using whole wheat flour and real eggs. I also ground up the pecans because I have a toddler  who sometimes has texture issues.

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans (or ground)
1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 cup plain yogurt (or sour cream)
2 Tbl water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-3/4 cup flour (take out 3 Tbl for whole wheat)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

  • Preheat the oven to 400*
  • Combine the brown sugar, pecans, and cinnamon. Set aside.
  • Cream sugar and butter together. Add eggs. Then, beat in yogurt, water, and vanilla.
  • In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of mixture and add yogurt mixture. Stir until just combined. 
  • Place about 3 Tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture in a small bowl and set aside. Sprinkle the surface of the batter with the remaining brown sugar and gently fold in 4 times. 
  • Place 18 liners in muffin tin. Spoon batter in cups and sprinkle evenly with reserved brown sugar mixture. 
  • Bake @ 400* for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
linked up to
sweet tooth friday
and
sweets for saturday

15 comments:

  1. I actually really like ground up nuts in my baked goods. It adds the flavor without the crunch that my kids and husband so often object to. These sound terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these, look delicious, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great recipe. It is fun cooking with you in the SRC. Hope you are having a great day and thanks for sharing!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the changes you made to this recipe! They are quite addictive, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great flavored muffin and I love your changes.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC recipe this month: Welsh Cakes.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe selection. I often use greek yogurt instead of sour cream in recipes - wonderful submission.

    I'm new to the SRC this month. I hope you'll stop by and pay me a visit.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of coffee cake in cupcake form. Great selection! I often substitute greek yogurt for sour cream in recipes - usually works very well.

    I'm new to the SRC this month. I hope you'll stop by and pay me a visit.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those do look delicious, and I like the cupcake form factor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just had yogurt but I sure could make room for a couple of these muffins! They look and sound delightful!

    Check out my SRC post if you like :) Molten Lava Cakes!!!

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/09/septembers-secret-recipe-club-reveal.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that you made these in cupcake form. I try to do that with a lot of recipes...built-in portion control!

    I'd love it if you'd stop by my SRC post for Turkey Sloppy Joes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sour cream coffee cake is one of favorite things to make for company breakfast. These look delicious. Visiting from SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you've stumbled onto a great recipe! Those look yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Looks great – I’m loving SRC — so many new recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect for when I have house guests for breakfast. These muffins look so delicious. Great SRC pick. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do love a good muffin recipe. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It