I loved how this turned out. It reminded me of my favorite bakery's sausage rolls, but without the time and commitment of a yeast roll. Actually, for the amount needed you need to have two packages of crescent rolls, but for some reason I only bought one. So we had one sausage braid and one phyllo wrapped roll. Both were delicious, but I just hate working with phyllo. I'm pretty sure when package in my freezer is gone, I'll never buy it again. That's for another post though.
1-lb turkey sausage
4 cups mozzarella cheese
1 tsp hot sauce
1 Tbl parsley flakes
2 pkgs crescent rolls
- Brown sausage. Mix in cheese, hot sauce, parsley, and egg. Stir and heat until cheese is melted.
- Unroll both packages of crescent rolls and press together making a long rectangle. (If your baking sheet isn't long enough, make two shorter rectangles instead) On the long edges of the rectangle, make two inch slices every two inches. These slices will make the top braid.
- Place sausage mixture down the middle of the rectangle.
- Criss-cross your sliced edges to make a braid.
- Bake according to crescent roll package directions.