Sunday, October 16, 2011

Burger or Hot Dog Buns

     I know this is a little late. We are still grilling here, in spite of the cooler temperatures. I just love grilled foods. For a long time, I wanted to try my hand at homemade burger and hot dog buns. I love homemade breads, and I knew this would be no different. The recipe is originally from allrecipes and had so many good reviews, so I figured this would be a good place to start. These buns were fairly easy to make (for yeast bread) and added that homemade roll taste to our otherwise boring grilled hot dogs. I used white whole wheat flour instead of of all purpose flour.
     These buns freeze well too. We ended up with 16 hot dog buns, and we only needed 8 for the meal. We froze them and had them again a couple weeks later, and they tasted great.

1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter
4-1/2 cups flour (take out 1/2 cup + 1 Tbl if using whole wheat)
2-1/4 tsp yeast (or 1 pkg)
2 Tbl sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 egg

  • In a small saucepan, heat milk, water, and butter until very warm.
  • In a large bowl, mix 1-3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix milk mixture into flour mixture, and then mix in the egg. Stir in remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, or about 8 minutes.
  • For burger buns:Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape into smooth balls (for burger buns) and place on a greased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Cover and rise for 30-35 minutes.
  • For hot dog buns: Divide dough into 16 pieces. shape each piece into a 6x4 rectangle. Starting with the longer side, roll up tightly and pinch edges to seal. Let rise about 20-25 minutes. 
  • Bake at 400* for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to try my own buns...

    ReplyDelete

Special Note

For the present, anonymous comments are not allowed at Robin, Restored due to the large number of spam comments that make it through Blogger's spam filter. I'm sorry about those of you who comment as Anonymous and sign your names. I'll try later to enable the function again.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

sharing

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin It